Some tips or tricks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Some tips or tricks?

Post by BtheLee94 on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 15:51

Okay, so i know i see this asked a lot throughout these forums but i wanted one that would answer my specific questions so here we go.

I've only started shuffling yesterday, i've searched youtube for the basics and i've come up with that the running man, T step, and combined with kicks are the bare minimum that you'll need to start off with Melbourne.

I watch some people and they're so fluent. When i do it, it's so sloppy and i can't seem to get anything to flow. I know it's just practice practice practice, but how should i practice? to songs? just do the moves by themselves? What i worry about is that if i just do the moves by themselves that all i will get are these one step tricks in my vocab and i don't want that. I want to be able to shuffle using my whole vocab. Right now i usually just base myself off the running man and the spinning kick/stomp. But i want to be able to T step and use the rest of my skill set in order to dance this style. how can i achieve this?
BtheLee94
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Battle Character
Name: 1
Ability:
10/10  (10/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Some tips or tricks?

Post by Garry on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 16:32

no-ones going to do your sweating for you, hehe.

Yep practice, it's muscle memory, if you don't repeat the moves your body doesn't remember them. This is a whole new level of language, there's about 250 moves you can learn, but you won't even recognise them for 6-12 months.

The first thing you learn is stomping to the beat. You can't do that, you can't shuffle. Unlike hiphop, shuffling has a strict relationship with the beat of the music, down to the 1/4 second, not 2-3 seconds either side. So by practicing you are training your body to not only learn the foot moves, but tune your body to the music, so that you are in absolute sync timing wise.

You learn this by self discipline, because if you don't want to do it, we won't make you...

it's catch 22 man haha, you grow as you experience it, no short cuts, just hard work

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile http://mso1.cultureforum.net/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 16:35

The first thing you'll find is the exercise releases all sorts of good chemicals in your head and blood stream telling you, this is fun, this is good this is healthy, do it more.

So only practice when you want to. Make it fun not a chore.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 18:01

Many of these moves are instinctive. They are basic animal kingdom moves in physiological terms. They come with our DNA and are embelished by our genes.

So think of a little baby learning to walk and the parent or adult holds them under the arms and lets them feel the weight of their body on those chubby little legs. And they encourage the baby to put one foot in front of the other as practice for walking and to build up the strength in their muscles to take the full weight.

These are rituals past on to trigger our DNA. We already have the equipment to walk upright, we just need to run the setup schedule. These are also defence mechanisms like, when you see something big and nasty coming at you, you do your running man routine like we practiced and get the hell outta there.

So at the time it happens your moves are instinctive, so your brain can divert all your cognitive powers to just where it is you think you are going to run.

You don't need to be running check list of more adrenalin, oxygen etc.

So by basic practice you activate your genetics and DNA and a lot of this stuff just flows naturally. Your body knows what to do more than you. You just have to give it some cue's what you want past the standard homo erectis routine and it says, oh now I get what you're trying to do, you mean like this.... you want to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee ? A big ask but we'll see what you can do with what we've got here.

Listen to your body and pay attention to what it tells you, it knows you better than you know yourself. No secrets there.

Follow your instincts at first with what feels comfortable, speed, balance etc.

You are hardwiring direct connections with your brain as you do it. Making certain sequences of movements a priority over others. Your brain has to figure out the difference between you falling over while trying to spin and you falling over because you are ill.

The basic steps calibrate your body, they help clarify movements to set up more complex ones. You gotta crawl before you can walk etc.

That's why we have this basic set. It gives you the main skill sets of movement. Your brain recognises the repeated patterns and their context, then stores them, matched against our genetic set as an update. If all else fails - which happens a lot when learning, the default program kicks in and trys to save us banging our head on the floor. There may be a No failure attitude to shuffling, but you can fall over.

You are actually learning far more than you realise when you practice.

Your body has the manual, you just need to put it into ...practice, as they say Wink

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content