7 Months Shuffle

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default 7 Months Shuffle

Post by chickenhide on Tue 06 Jul 2010, 16:06

First topic message reminder :

I'm not a sexy chick, thats just the name of the song so I made it the name of my video lol.

I'd first off like to state that I'm only 14 and I've been doing this since December of '09. I recorded this video earlier today and I tried to throw in everything I had. I'm just started to add spins to my shuffle but as you can see in the video, I'm not too great with them. I almost tipped over at one point in the video. I also added some kicks which I am relatively new at. The song isn't hardstyle, but I picked a slower song to show some of the things I added and perhaps to add to the amount of criticism I recieve. Tell me how I did, guys.
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

View user profile http://voltagecrew.co.nr/

Back to top Go down

default Re: 7 Months Shuffle

Post by walker with style cali on Sat 10 Jul 2010, 03:54

yeah just slowly switch and try ths

before u go full on shooe...put duct tape on the sole.... it makes it a little easeir to slide

walker with style cali
Level 2
Level 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Sat 10 Jul 2010, 18:05

you'd think that it would almost make it harder. the adhesive of duct tape has a lot of friction. im surprised that works for people, but i'll try.

chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by walker with style cali on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 01:54

u just grid it off by shuffling so

Level 2
Level 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 12:27

then whats the point? D:
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by *-[skitz]-* on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 13:18

sickkk .
*-[skitz]-*
Level 1
Level 1

View user profile http://myspace.com/eyelessjuggalo

Back to top Go down

Post by walker with style cali on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 14:39

nahh dude as it gradually wears away u become better so u dont need it

Level 2
Level 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prototstar on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 18:16

IMO it's never a good idea to start off with pair of socks, you becomes used to the slippery surfrace rather than the friction and that would means you'd be sliding and pressing your feet against the surface harder than necessary. You wants to train on the best surface with friction. Shoes + concrete will do. If you can't then shuffle barefoot on carpet or wood. Once you becomes used to the friction you'll be able to dance on any surface easily. That's how i started but do whatever is comfortable for you.
prototstar
Level 1
Level 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 18:59

NO NO lol no friction, wrong way around.

a polished floor is best with shoes that have no tread left on the ball and heel of your foot. Or ballet shoes or shoes with a smooth leather sole. Even bare feet is okay.

The shuffle started on a wooden surface and is preferably done on a wooden dance floor. Concrete is actually really really bad because it has no 'give' in it like a wooden dance floor has.

The concrete floor is high impact and causes compression injuries to your bones and joints over years. Which is why modern sports shoes have so much tread on them to cushion the impact on modern concrete and brick city/suburban surfaces.

Shuffling on concrete is only a new thing perpetuated by youtube - usually because the home driveway is the biggest flat area that most people have.

Traditionally shuffling was always done on a proper wooden dance floor and stage. Often with talcum powder sprinkled on the floor as well to give you more slip.

There is no sensible reason to increase friction in shuffling. It just wears out your shoes faster and puts unnecessary stress on your muscles making injury, torn muscles etc more likely.

You DO build up your muscle strength learning on concrete, BUT it mostly builds strength to overcome the friction, and your flexibility suffers.

Dance on concrete as a last resort and to just muck around, like for meet-ups etc. But to get serious about shuffling, smooth polished wooden surfaces like indoor gyms and basketball stadiums are ideal.

Being light on your feet is what shuffling is about, you need lifting power in your foot and leg muscles, not dragging your feet on the ground.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile http://mso1.cultureforum.net/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 21:00

I should add that a lot depends on your style. Hardstyle for instance is mostly stomping and running man, so a thick cushioned soled sports shoe is ideal, in fact it's more or less what a sports shoe is designed for, running and jumping.

I'm finishing a reference article about shuffle shoes with examples of soles and the types of moves they're best suited for.

Because shuffling uses moves from different styles often we end up trying to do a move with the wrong footwear.

So I'm just finishing the global shuffle movie right now, doing all the HD rendering, it takes for ever. I have 2 computers going day and night, deadline for the Sundance film festival is in about 4 weeks

So the shuffle shoe article will be online late August 2010, once I get a bit of time to finish it.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 06:53

Garry, although you can't see it, I usually dance to hardstyle and when I do, I'm really violent. I suppose the worst type of shoes you can use for this would be skating shoes, am I right? Seeing as how the purpose of skating shoes are to increase grip on a skateboard.

Heres one of me shuffling to hardstyle.
Disregard my pajama pants, haha.

chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 14:43

That's not bad.

What you can do to look harder, is exaggerate the stomp a bit. You don't actually hit the ground any harder, but you let the rest of your body respond to the stomp. This visually re-inforces the motion like a fake hollywood movie punch. So let your upper body bend down a bit as you stomp, like your trying to ram your foot through the floor, and spring back a little like a rebound.

You're not stomping any harder but you let your whole body look like it's jolting in sympathy. Too much and it looks fake, but the right amount in the right place is really effective.

You save the impact wear and tear on your feet by cushioning your stomp with your muscles, slowing down as you hit the floor. Rather than the big sudden jolt.

As far as shoes...Actually hard wooden soles are best Wink

Once you understand the origins of the hardstyle moves it makes more sense.

Think of your feet as musical instruments. The stomp, the main hardstyle move is done to accent the full beat, usually in time with the kick(drum) and bass.

With a soft sole it's just a dull thump on a wooden floor and nothing on concrete. But if you put a hard wooden block on your heel and toe (ball of the foot) it makes a really loud bang and crack sound as well as the thump.

You can actually control the pitch (up and down notes) by how hard you stomp.

So that's what you're trying to do as a Shuffler, use your feet as drums. But with soft soles you can't hear a thing, especially at a rave. But you make the same moves in time with the music.

If your down stomp hits the floor exactly on the beat, not half a second before or after, but exactly, then you get a strong sharp whack visually

-------
Check out these guys, this is how it's down by elite pros. Using just the sound of their feet as the drums. And they keep their hands firmly by their sides, so you focus on their legs and feet.

They have traditional irish dance shoes with wooden heals and soles very much like spanish flamico boots, both which are based on wooden soled clogs.

They're brilliant so don't expect to reach this level unless you want to train for 10-15 years Wink

You'll notice that they're in the air a lot. Even though they're whacking the floor hard it's like they just float off the ground

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 17:29

Wow Garry, that video is really cool, and you put everything into a spectacular perspective. You're a really classical guy, haha. I admire you. Thanks for everything.
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 09:55

aw thanks for your kind words

check out the Clogging reference post in the mean time while I'm finishing the shoes post.
http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2009/07/clogging-source-of-melbourne-shuffle.html

It has the history of the hardstyle stomp move, it goes back to ancient celtic shamanic dances, invoking the spirit of a horse, horses were sacred in early celtic culture.

Here's a few samples from the post: including the traditional Lancashire (UK) wooden soled clog worn by 19th century industrial revolution mill workers, who invented an industrial styled shuffle tapping out rhythmic sounds made by the loom shuttles. It was like the first drum machine, it was a machine based rhythm, which is why it works so beautifully with electronic based dance music with computer based drums.

This excellent clip from the 1960's Blue Ridge Mountain Dancers with Pete Seeger shows steps instantly recognisable as hardstyle, the stomp and shuffle. They even feature the stomping in the routine, both girls and guys.

They wear wooden soled clogs like the Lancashire ones above, only a bit thinner.

They may be thinner because they're worn down. Cloggers are known to sandpaper the soles to smooth out bumps and scratches. The wooden stages act as a sound board, like the front of a guitar. It amplifies the percussive sounds of the clogs.

This clip has typical traditional music, guitar banjo and fiddle. They play in loops of 8 or 16 bars, jigs and reels they're known as from about 500-600 years ago. You just keep playing like a dj mix, they could go for hours with fresh musicians stepping in to give others a break.

Exactly like an oldskool dance party Smile

You can hear the relentless machine based rhythm, just constant tempo all the way through. The mill workers would tap their shoes against the metal pipes and rails of the mills to relieve the boredom of a 12 hour shift.

So if you listen carefully you can hear some of the popular dances, such as the gallop, which imitates a horses gallop. Remember that horses were a valued status symbol at the time, much like todays cars. So the imitations were done with pride and passion.

Seeing humans generally only have two legs, the gallop today looks like the running man, just the front two legs of the horse.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 18:34

I believe you've posted that video somewhere else on the forums. I've seen it before Razz I really was never interested in any style of dance until I came across this forum.

How would those shoes work at all in the modern style of melbourne shuffling, though?

Also, now you've got me hooked on riverdance!

They're amazing!

EDIT: 3:39 is the coolest thing I've ever seen!
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 11:38

I'm glad you found that clip. it was the one I was gonna post, but the link I've got is dead.

It's a nice move isn't it Wink

Just getting all those dancers to do the same thing at the same time, all looking straight ahead, no checking your feet or others feet, is incredible.

It just so well rehearsed they could go through the moves in their sleep, probably had the odd nightmare about it too.

There were a few oldskoolers from Melbourne touring with the show. They'd won competitive international irish dancing titles and were auditioned for the jobs along with 1000's of other hopefulls.

Dancers for such strict formation work need to be incredibly well self disciplined. Like classical orchestra musicians. You need to perform your part without fail and in absolute unity with the others. Not only would they do group classes every day rehearsing, but hours of individual practice.

Really hard work.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 12:04

As far as the shoes, there were quite a few who wore them in the oldskool, but they looked gay with phats. So it became a fashion issue over sensible shoes.

But they look great with skinny leg jeans

The seperation of the heel and toe on the sole make lots of moves easier because you have less friction and more definition to your move.

The biggest draw back with any wooden soled shoe is you can break an ankle on uneven surfaces. Like a small stone or something in the wrong spot and there's no cushioning, just twisting sideways when you land, and ouch.

But on a flat wooden dancefloor they're excellent. You'll notice how smooth and clean the stages are. They're swept and washed down by people on their hands and knees before every show to make sure there's not one loose nail, splitter of wood or anything.

For a half way point, a lo cut flat soled soft shoe like a skater shoe is fine. Try and get a shoe with little tread, because you're going to wear down the spot at the ball of your feet (toe) and heel to get a smoother sole.

Oldskoolers went for Vans, Converse Nike (all Black with white sole trim) and Addidas (white)

You'd keep them nice for going out and have work-out shuffle practice shoes for day to day stuff. Usually any generic skater type shoe, because you'd wear them out a lot practicing. Like the msoPHATS generic shoe at www.shuffleshoes.biz

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 15:10

Ahah, I definitley can't afford anything for a while. Remember, I'm only 14, haha.

I do want phats though. Very badly. I'd do anything, lol.
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry on Sat 17 Jul 2010, 09:19

haha yeah I forgot, and phats, of course !

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenhide on Sat 17 Jul 2010, 15:22

I was thinking today while taking a shower today - what kind of music do you listen to, Garry? Do you like hardstyle or electro house or what?
chickenhide
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Void on Sun 08 Aug 2010, 15:25

walker with style cali wrote: this is me look at the differences
hey dude try not to lean over or look at your feet when your shuffling it makes you look bad.not to be mean or a total d*ck just a tip.
Void
Level 3
Level 3

Battle Character
Name: BF/Void
Ability:
5/10  (5/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by braxtonk on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 13:23

[/quote]
u got skill man keep it up and u will get a lot better u do your steps clean now get them fast and relly learn glides and shuffle to hardstyle
braxtonk
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top