Battling.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Battling.

Post by Void on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 01:09

okay in my life i realized on youtube they would do a battle of like Rocky vs Francis.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqewENaHqkw
people argue over who is better and who is worse.they are both good shufflers.and this is about other shufflers to.isnt it "unshufflelike" to argue over who is a better shuffler?

Void
Level 3
Level 3

Battle Character
Name: BF/Void
Ability:
5/10  (5/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Battling.

Post by Garry on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 09:19

Dance is a competitive sport and has been for decades. Nobody gets in a fuss if sporting teams compare each others abilities and award the 'best'. While dance can be an intimate personal social thing, there is no reason why you can't compete...as well. You don't have to choose between one or the other, you can have both.

Melbourne is a very competitive sporting city. It is the home of Australian rules football, we draw 100,000 to major games at the one stadium, we have half a dozen other stadiums from 5000 to 50,000. I played both competitive tennis and social tennis like 100,000's of other kids in Melbourne.

To compete is to standout from the crowd, many cultures do not like anyone to be different, you must conform and never standout, Melbourne is not like that.

Pro dancers for ballet, broadway musicals, mainstream video clips and touring stage shows like Madonna, Kylie, Lady Gaga, Britney etc all have to compete just to get a place. Hell, you have to compete just to get into arts school typically 400 dancers for just 20 places and that's when your 16/17 years old, heavy duty pressure, but every year the new hopefulls line up and give it a shot.

Global Shuffle had to compete with 3800 other movies entered into the Sundance film festival, for just 115 places. We were already at a disadvantage being a documentary, most film festivals want drama or comedy with movie actors, and we are a foreign film for the USA.

But we still entered and it sucks not getting in, but that was our choice. We have to compete with every single movie in every single film festival just to get in, and you only get one chance for the movie. No second tries, you miss once you miss for ever.

It's very tough, and that's what I want. I don't want to compete with 15 year olds I want something to stretch me, try me, judge me and hopefully reward my effort and all those who made Global Shuffle with a screening.

To say that I cannot compete, or shufflers cannot compete is nonsense, they do already and have done since shuffling began.

Shufflers always judge themselves and compare themselves to other shufflers, dance is learnt by imitation and you have be intelligent enough to understand dance and know what needs improving.

I think people confuse shuffling contests such as Bob Hope and James Cagney which is based on good humor and great skills, with hip-hop battles which are based on aggression and anger, with one defeating the other. In shuffling we focus on one surpassing the other.

It's a test of skills with an emphasis on improving your skills, not defeating another or banning another.

But it's your choice, if you want to battle, go ahead, if you don't want to battle, go ahead. You can do both. Just have (nice) fun doing it.

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
8/10  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

View user profile http://mso1.cultureforum.net/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum